The Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Science is a four-year program that specializes in the study of agricultural science, dealing with topics such as genetics and plant breeding, agricultural microbiology, soil science, and plant pathology. In the field of agricultural science, it is a professional degree recognized by the government of India. By taking this course, participants will be trained on how to implement modern agricultural techniques and technologies.
Students complete eight semesters of coursework via both theory and practicals in the laboratory and poly house settings and at experimental plots and fields at the university and outside in rural and peri-urban settings. Topics include agricultural and allied sciences use of modern scientific instruments machinery and techniques in plant and animal-based farming systems land surveying soil science water resource management animal and poultry management basic biotechnology. The program introduces the students to a variety of aspects of agriculture and its related specializations in sophisticated laboratories as well as in a real-life environment in related industry and farming. Students in this program will use the above-described concepts to enhance agriculture productivity, manage processes, and products, and pave way for future developments through fundamental and mission-oriented applied research that will lead to the development of bio-safe and eco-friendly high-value agricultural production systems.
Agriculture is one of the most popular specializations of a Bachelor of Science degree. Agriculture has been India's main economic activity in the past. Agriculture practices, agribusiness, and agricultural research students will find this course useful. As part of the programme, students will learn about different types of farming practices in order to increase productivity and reduce soil erosion and pollution. B.Sc. Graduates of the program can work in different departments of agriculture, from technical aspects to business prospects and from production to sales.
A student pursuing a BSc Agriculture degree must fulfil the following criteria to qualify:
- Passed intermediate school (12 years) in the science stream with a minimum of 50% marks.
- The subjects to be studied are Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics.
- Additionally, candidates with an Intermediate in Agriculture stream (limited states) are eligible to apply. For this course, the colleges do not hold their own admissions examinations. Some universities conduct their own admissions tests.
- Physics, Chemistry, and Biology should be completed from a recognized board for the candidate's 10+2.
- One needs to apply to the college they wish to join and attend an interview to be considered for direct merit-based admission. You will get the admission done if you are shortlisted.
- Entrance exams are required for students who wish to pursue this course, and their scores will determine if they are qualified for counselling and a seat in a college.
- Make sure you are eligible for the exams you wish to take, and then apply for them via the official website or on campus.
Admission to an agriculture B.Sc programme offered by different colleges/universities is in two ways:
- Aspirants should apply for admission using the application form released by the college/university before the last date. Admission is based on the scores obtained by the qualified students during the qualifying exams.
- Admission via entrance exams - Various reputable agriculture colleges and universities conduct entrance exams for admission to the B.Sc agriculture program. Colleges and universities may conduct a counselling round or a personal interview after they have administered the entrance exam.
Entrance Examinations in India
- ICAR Entrance Exam (ICAR-AIEEA)
- Rajasthan JET
- TS EAMCET
- MP PAT
- AP EAMCET
- BCECE Agriculture
- PAU CET
- AP AGRICET (for Diploma Passouts)
- TS AGRICET (for Diploma Passouts)
- CG PAT
- MHT CET (PCB)
- KCET (Agriculture)
- KEAM (Agriculture)
- BHU B.Sc Agriculture Entrance Exam
What Are the Benefits of B.Sc Agriculture?
Given India's fame as a farming country and its vast agricultural land, this is one industry that will never lack for work. Although there are many job opportunities in this field, the purpose of this course is to train professionals for better management of products and future developments. As an alternative to the B.E., it is as well very good. The B.Tech in Agriculture program is an option. Consequently, you will find plenty of good reasons to pursue this course, and some of them are listed below.
There are good job opportunities in State and Central Government ministries and departments, rural and nationalized banks, agricultural finance corporation research institutes, Krishi Vigyan Kendras, agro-industry sector, various agricultural universities and service organizations.
- In India as well as internationally, agriculture is a very lucrative industry
- After graduating with a B.Sc in Agriculture, applicants can open their own businesses in economic sectors such as farming, plantations, mining, poultry farming, etc.
- Additionally, candidates can work in food processing, dairy fields, breeding centres, and non-governmental organizations as inspectors or agricultural managers.
BSc Agriculture Career Opportunities
Those who have graduated with a B.Sc degree in agriculture can find employment both in the private and government sectors. Graduating students can find employment at the Officer level in the state agriculture department. They can also be hired by government banks to fill Officer level positions (generally dealing with loans).
Graduates may work as Officers in Fertilizer Manufacturing companies, Plantation Managers, Agricultural Products Marketing companies, Agriculture Machinery Industries, Food processing plants, and so on.
After garnering some years of experience, graduates with a Bachelor's degree in Agriculture may become independent consultants. After completing a B.Sc. in agriculture, you take the M.Sc. Agriculture is another option on the basis of which one can become a teacher. A PhD in Agriculture is also an option for those interested in research in the field.
Agriculture's importance is increasing rapidly, increasing job prospects in this field as well.
In the present day, there are a number of research projects and teaching activities related to agriculture in many Agricultural departments, Extension services, Research organizations, Commercial farming organizations, etc.
These professionals earn an average salary of INR 2 to 8 LPA on an annual basis. In the public sector, the rate is likely to be higher.
As a member of the Government of India, Agricultural Officers (Agronomists) hold one of the most prestigious posts after finishing a BSc in Agriculture. In addition to the profile, the following other jobs are associated with it:
- Agriculture Officer
- Agricultural Research Scientist
- Business Development Executive
- Marketing Executive
- Agricultural Portfolio Manager
- Actuarial Analyst
- Program Manager
- Agricultural Lecturer
- Research Analyst
- Farming Consultant
- Agriculture Officer
- Agricultural Research Scientist
- Marketing Executive
- Assistant Plantation Manager
- Agriculture Development Officers
- Agriculture Technician
- Rice Breeder
- Junior Agriculture Specialist
- Seed Technologist
- Junior Associate – Research
Jobs With Average Annual Salary
An agriculture officer works with farmers and companies involved in agriculture. As an agriculture officer, you will be responsible for assisting them in increasing farming productivity.
Salary - 9.60 LPA in Indian rupees
An assistant plantation manager
Managing the harvesting, harvesting operations and other operations related to the plantation of crops or vegetables is the responsibility of an Assistant Plantation Manager.
Salary - 5.25 LPA in Indian rupees
Scientist in Agricultural Research
Scientists in agricultural research begin by conducting research. Their primary focus is on the biological processes of various things and their relationships with products and processes, involving both lab work and fieldwork.
Salary - 6 LPA in INR
Agricultural Development Officer
Agriculture Development Officers are also responsible for improving soil productivity and farming practices, similar to agriculture officers.
Salary - LPA of 4.80 INR
Technician in agriculture
By inventing methods to improve crop yields, agricultural technicians protect animals from diseases and conduct research related to foods, fibre, and animal production.
Salary - 3.5 LPA in Indian rupees
Executive in marketing
An Executive for Marketing works to increase profits by promoting a product and designing sales strategies that will attract customers. In the corporate world, it is one of the most popular job profiles.
Salary - 3.46 LPA in INR
An expert in plant breeding
To improve the yield of major crops in India, plant breeders innovate and develop new strategies, tools, and technologies.
Salary - 7.76 LPA in Indian rupees
Technologist in seed production
Seed technologists assist seed growers by operating seed equipment, planting seeds, and scouting seeds.
Salary - 3.25 LPA in INR
Fresh graduates in this field can earn anywhere between Rs. 2 lakhs and Rs. 4.5 lakhs depending on the organization they plan to work for. Generally, candidates with B.Sc degrees are paid better salary packages by the Indian Government. A farmer's income is much lower than that of a private firm. Between Rs. 3.5 lakh and Rs. 4.5 lakh. However, you must clear the government entrance exams in order to be employed in government departments. Obtaining a B.Sc. degree will increase your salary potential. Agribusiness management offers tons of opportunities for candidates who wish to work in this field. The salary range for MBA graduates is between Rs. 8 lakh and Rs. 15 lakh.
Recruitment areas for B.Sc. Agriculture
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture graduates can find employment in both the public and private sectors. They will work for state agriculture departments as Research Officers, Quality Assurance Officers, Agriculture Officers, Agriculture Loan Officers (in banks), Development Managers, Logistics Managers, and Farm Managers.
In the private sector, graduates of agriculture science can work as plantation managers, officers in fertilizer manufacturing firms, agriculture machinery factories, agricultural product marketing firms, and so on. The starting salary for these officers ranges between Rs. 5 lakhs and Rs. 6 lakhs (including incentive). The aspirant's potential to earn better pay multiplies exponentially as he or she gains years and experience.
In addition to these, aspiring agriculture students have the opportunity to pursue a Master's degree and then work as either a professor or an agriculture researcher.
- Banking Sector
- Defense Sector
- Agricultural Journalism
- Agriculture-related Industry
- Corporate Houses
These are some of the other jobs available to B.Sc Agriculture freshers in India:
- Agricultural Officer
- Manager assistant of a plantation
- Scientist in Agricultural Research
- Executive in Business Development
- Executive in marketing
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Which is Highest Paying Jobs Agriculture Industry?
- INR 390,000 is the average annual salary
- Biology comprises the science of investigating living organisms and the science of how they live so that humanity can benefit from their study.
2. What are the Major Government Jobs after BSc Agriculture?
- Forest Officer.
- Lab Assistants.
- Agriculture Junior Engineer.
- Agriculture Field Officer.
- Agriculture Development Officer.
- Agriculture Graduate Trainee.
- Agriculture Forest Officer.
3.What are the Bank Jobs after BSc Agriculture?
- Junior Agriculture Associate.
- Rural Development Officer.
- Specialist Officer.
- Agriculture Officer.
- Probationary Officer.
- Field Officer.
4.What are the top Countries for Agriculture Jobs?
5.Which are the Top Agriculture Colleges/Institutes?
- Banaras Hindu University Varanasi.
- Annamalai University. Cuddalore.
- Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth. Pune.
- Punjab Agriculture University Ludhiana.
- Lovely Professional University.Jalandhar.
- Tamil Nadu Agriculture University Coimbatore.
6.What are the top Recruitment Areas in BSc AGRICULTURE?
- Farm Management.
- Extension Service.
- Agriculture Economics.
- Agriculture Banks.
- Commercial Framing.
- Quality Assurance.
- Seed Technology Firms.
- Food Technology.