A public university in Australia, James Cook University is among the top 30 modern universities in the Good University Guide 2021. Among the university’s many offerings are undergraduate and postgraduate studies, online programs, short-term courses, and pathway programs. James Cook University is regarded as one of the best universities in Queensland while at the same time James Cook University ranking as Australia’s top “tropical” research university. The university was ranked among the 250 best universities in the world in the latest Times Higher Education World University Ranking. In total, it is ranked among the top 2 percent of over 10,000 universities worldwide.
James Cook University has a student population of 21,000, of which 3,180 are international students from 108 countries seeking higher education in Australia. The application period for admissions to James Cook University is for two semesters – February-June and July-November, which are each 13 weeks long. Undergraduate courses cost between AUD 25,000 and AUD 70,000 and postgraduate courses between AUD 30,000 and AUD 50,000.
James Cook University Highlights
|University Type||Public Research University|
|Campus Setting||Suburban, Regional|
|No. of Campuses||7|
|Graduate Job Rate||72.9% (full time)|
|Funding||826 million AUD|
|Cost of Attendance||29,036 - 46457 AUD (annually)|
|Applications Accepted||Online/Offline/Through Agent/QTAC|
|Mode of Program||Full time, Part-time, Online|
|Website||James Cook University.edu.au|
James Cook University Ranking 2021-2022
One of the best universities in Australia for higher studies, James Cook University specializes in tropical research. James Cook University’s rankings are as follows
- James Cook University World Ranking: Ranked within 51-100 in QS World University Ranking by Subject and 43rd in the top 50 under 50. Placed 424th in the QS World University Ranking by Subject. ( James Cook University World Ranking)
- James Cook University World Ranking: Ranked within 201-250th in World University Ranking published by Times Higher Education (THE)
- James Cook University ranking: Ranked 29th in the Young University Ranking 2020, and 91st in THE Impact Rankings 2021
- James Cook University ranking: James Cook University’s world ranking was at 472nd and 444 in research performance in the Center for World Universities Rankings for 2021 (CWUR).
- James Cook University ranking was at 287 in the list of best global universities published by US News in 2021.
- In the ranking published by US News in 2021, JC University ranked 21st among the best global universities in Australia and New Zealand, and 19th among only Australian universities.
James Cook University Courses and Fee Structure 2021-2022
James Cook University offers 49 undergraduate degrees and 68 postgraduate degrees in six colleges and 32 academic departments.
- James Cook University’s Marine Biology is ranked number one in the world.
- Other subjects that have ranked worldwide are Art, Business Management Studies, Engineering, Law, Biomedical Sciences, Dental Surgery, etc.
Below is a list of some of the popular programs offered by James Cook University (James Cook University fees 2021-2022)
|Department Name||Estimated Tuition Fee/Year (AUD)|
|Arts, Education & Information Sciences||29,471|
|Law & Nursing||31,213|
|Engineering & Pharmacy||35,859|
James Cook University Application Deadlines 2021-2022
Students applying to James Cook University must apply by 11 January 2021 for semester or study period 1, and by 11 June 2021 for study period 2. Furthermore, programs often have different deadlines for different study periods. Here are some examples
|Graduate Diploma of Medical Science Master of Medical Science||29 December 2020|
|Bachelor of Physiotherapy||12 January 2021|
|Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Business (Honours) [End-on] Bachelor of Commerce Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events||11 January 2021|
|Master of Data Science (on-campus, Cairns)||25 January 2021|
|Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Commerce Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events||26 April 2021|
|Graduate Diploma of Medical Science Master of Medical Science||31 May 2021|
|Master of Data Science (on-campus, Cairns)||19 July 2021|
|Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Commerce Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events||9 August 2021|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery Bachelor of Veterinary Science||31 August 2021|
|Master of Psychology (Clinical)||30 September 2021|
|Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours) Graduate Diploma of Psychology||31 October 2021|
|Master of Teaching and Learning (Primary) Master of Teaching and Learning (Secondary)||30 November 2021|
|Graduate Diploma of Medical Science Master of Medical Science||27 December 2020|
James Cook University Campus
There are three campuses in Australia for James Cook University: Cairns, Townsville, and Brisbane. In addition, it has a campus in the international city of Singapore
- In Douglas, James Cook University Townsville’s Bebegu Yumba campus is located at TropiQ, Townsville’s Tropical Intelligence and Health Precinct. There are 386 hectares of natural bush and parkland situated 13 kilometers from the Townsville CBD.
- There are over 1400 students living on the campus and there are facilities such as teaching and research facilities, cafes, bars, gyms, and sports facilities.
- Students at James Cook University have the opportunity to participate in social, sporting, and academic clubs and societies through the James Cook University Student Association and the James Cook University International Student Association.
- Among its excellent sporting facilities are a cricket pitch, a gym, a hockey rink, a football pitch, tennis courts, a swimming pool, squash courts, and rowing machines.
- Three hundred and fifty-five international students study at James Cook University Cairns. The two sub-campuses of Cairns are located at Smithfield and in the center of the city. The campuses are close to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and the ancient rainforests of the Wet Tropics, which means that students can develop specialized skills during field trips and expeditions to research locations.
- Campus facilities at James Cook University Cairns include teaching and research facilities, libraries, sports facilities, gyms, cafes, bars, clubs, and societies. Students can also study at the James Cook University Cairns City Campus.
- There is also a world-class mountain biking track at James Cook University Cairns Smithfield Campus, in addition to regular sports facilities.
- The James Cook University Brisbane Campus is operated by Russo Higher Education and is located in Brisbane’s business district. Students from around the world can study business and IT in its bachelor’s and postgraduate degrees programs.
James Cook University Student Accommodation
Domestic and international students in Australia who wish to study at James Cook University have on-campus accommodation options in Townsville and Cairns. International students enjoy a safe and secure environment on campus and a variety of housing options.
- James Cook University Townsville offers four types of accommodation: George Roberts Hall, Rotary International House, University Hall, Saint Catholic College, and John Flynn College.
- Students at James Cook University Cairns can stay at John Grey Hall and Cairns Student Lodge (next to the Smithfield Campus).
- The on-campus residences at James Cook University provide study tables and chairs, a bed, Wi-Fi, air conditioning, a fan, a wardrobe, and swipe locks for your security.
- The residence halls also have common areas that include common rooms, computer labs and printers, TV rooms, study areas, kitchenettes, laundry facilities, and outdoor seating.
- In addition to security and three meals per day, on-campus residence halls also offer daily cleaning and maintenance services.
Accommodations off-campus are also available to students in Australia. Student housing options at the University include homestays, community living and shared housing
You’ll need housing near James Cook University, or your own place.
James Cook University Admission Process 2021-2022
Students can apply online, offline or through their country-specific agents to James Cook University depending on the program they are applying to.
Through QTAC Application, Australian students as well as those pursuing the International Baccalaureate can apply. Applications must be submitted six weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.
How To Apply to James Cook University?
Where to Apply: Online Application Portal
Application Fee: No fee
Documents to be submitted
- Academic Transcripts
- CV or Resume
- Letter of Recommendation (Only required for specific courses)
- Passport Size Photograph
- English Proficiency score details
- Original Certificates/Grade Score reports
- Statement of Purpose (for specific programs)
Other essential requirements ( James Cook University Eligibility Criteria)
- ACT: 22
- SAT: 1000
- GMAT (for PG): 620
English Proficiency Requirements
The following table shows the required score for each exam
Cost of Attendance at James Cook University ( James Cook University Fees 2021-2022)
Compared to other countries, Australia’s costs remain nearly the same. However, residence differences result in a large change in cost. For either on-campus or off-campus students with full board, the cost per week is around $290 AUD – $442 AUD. In addition, the following expenses have been calculated
|Expenses||Approximate Costs (weekly)|
|Rent (on share)||120 AUD|
|Books and Supplies||55 AUD|
- The cost estimates are subject to change.
- Students at James Cook University have free Wi-Fi access on campus
- Generally, annual attendance costs reach 48,731 AUD.
James Cook University Scholarships and Financial Aid
A range of scholarships are available at James Cook University Australia for students enrolled in pathway programs, master’s degrees, and doctoral degrees. These scholarships include
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility||Value|
|James Cook University College Pathways Scholarship||Students enrolled in diploma programs in engineering, health (nursing pathway), science, and technology can apply||25% reduction in tuition fee|
|James Cook University International Student Merit Stipend||This program is open to international students from Asia, Africa, Papua New Guinea, and the Middle East.||700 AUD/ monthly|
|James Cook University College Progression Scholarship||Designed for students who are transferring from James Cook University College Diplomas to James Cook University Bachelor Programs with a GPA of 4.5 or higher||To be decided based on the student profile|
|James Cook University Research Scholarship||Designed for students pursuing doctoral or master's degrees in research||To be decided based on the student profile|
|Australia Award Scholarship||Offered to international students enrolling for undergraduate/postgraduate courses at Australian Universities||All costs covered for the duration of the study|
- There is no set of criteria to determine the value and eligibility. Scholarships are awarded based on an applicant’s academic and scholastic profile.
- When a student is admitted to James Cook University, their profiles are automatically assessed for available scholarships. Scholarship recipients will also receive an offer of admission to the program in which they wish to study
- The International Excellence Scholarship is not available for all programs. In addition to the above, there are also bachelor’s degrees in medicine, surgery, dentistry, veterinary science, master’s degrees, and online programs.
James Cook University Placements 2021-2022
Career and Employability at James Cook University assists students with career planning and provides a variety of employment opportunities including MBA jobs in Australia
- Through CareerHub, students can explore full-time and part-time jobs, as well as internships. Students can also find information about upcoming career events, workshops, and employers.
- Through volunteer programs, students can gain work experience and improve their employability skills. A student who engages in volunteer work may have a better chance of getting hired during on-campus recruitment. Students can volunteer both on and off campus, including overseas.
During the second year of their study program, students are also encouraged to apply for an internship program. These internships are posted on various internship job portals throughout the year. If they have Australian work permits, they should be eligible for these internships.
Top Paid Jobs offered to James Cook University Graduates
|T & Software Development||59,000|
|Compliance, AML, KYC & Monitoring||56,000|
|Executive Management & Change||36,000|
|Marketing, Product & Communications||34,000|
|Support Functions & Translation||25,000|
Average Salary of James Cook University Graduates by Degree
|Master of Science||68,000|
|Bachelor of Science||36,000|
|Bachelor of Arts||31,000|
|Masters in Management||9,900|
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is James Cook a good university?
Ans. A world-class university, James Cook University (JCU) consistently ranks among the top 300 universities in the world and has just been awarded the prestigious QS 5 Stars ranking for 2021, in recognition of its achievements in teaching, employability, research, and facilities.
Is James Cook University Recognised in Singapore?
James Cook University is the only Australian institution in Singapore to be recognised with ‘University’ status.
Q. What is James Cook University known for?
Ans. The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) consistently ranks JCU in the top 400 since 2010. Centre for World University Rankings (CWUR) ranked JCU No. 1 in the world for Marine & Freshwater Biology and No. 2 in the world for Biodiversity Conservation in 2017.
Q. What is the ranking of James Cook University in Australia?
Ans. James Cook University Rankings
Among Best Global Universities, James Cook University is ranked #293. Rankings are based on how well schools perform across several widely accepted indicators of excellence.
Q. Is James Cook University good for psychology?
Ans. Staff and faculty at the JCU school of Psychology are experienced and knowledgeable. Graduates bring a wealth of knowledge, enthusiasm and energy to the team, as well as a genuine concern for supporting the team.
Q. Why is JCU in Brisbane?
Ans. James Cook University Brisbane offers a world-class education, ample opportunities, and a campus located in the heart of Brisbane’s CBD.
Q. How big is JCU?
Ans. The campus encompasses 386 hectares of natural bushland and parkland, about 13 kilometres (8 miles) from Townsville CBD. It houses about 1,400 students in colleges and residences. About 1,500 international students are part of the JCU Townsville community, which includes more than 13,000 students